Flexible Spending Account (FSA) funds can be used for copayments, deductibles, prescription medications – and dental care. These healthcare benefits do not carry over from year to year, so if you’re trying to figure out how to take advantage of the healthcare savings you’ve already paid for, contact Premier Smile Center in Fort Lauderdale to discuss your options. Use your FSA for yourself and family members to improve your oral health.
What Dental Care Is Covered by an FSA?
Dental procedures that are intended to treat an oral health problem or prevent a problem from growing or developing are usually eligible for FSA coverage. General dentistry, restorative dentistry, and preventive care usually fall under this umbrella and can include the following treatments:
- Dental cleaning: You should have your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year. If it’s been too long, make this preventive treatment a priority. This visit also includes an oral cancer screening and, if needed, x-rays.
- Tooth-colored fillings: If unsightly silver amalgam fillings have not held up well in your teeth, or if you have areas of tooth decay or broken teeth that need to be treated, use your FSA funds for natural-looking, tooth-colored fillings.
- Sealants: Protect the newly erupted permanent teeth for the youngest members of your family with sealants that guard against tooth decay.
- Dental crowns and bridges: Cover a broken tooth with a customized porcelain crown or replace a missing tooth with a dental bridge that is anchored by crowns. Both solutions are tooth-colored and look natural, completing and fortifying your smile.
- Dental implants: Living with a missing tooth or teeth? A dental implant can take the place of these absent teeth, and the missing tooth root, to rebuild your smile and support the bone.
- Dentures: Replace missing teeth with customized partial or full dentures. Modern dentures are designed to be more comfortable, look more natural, and can often work in conjunction with dental implants for a permanent solution.
- Periodontal treatment: If you are suffering from any signs of gum disease – swollen, bleeding, inflamed gums or loose, infected teeth – periodontal treatment addresses the problem and prevents it from progressing to return your oral health to good condition and minimize tooth loss.
- Root canal therapy: An infected tooth will present with severe pain – and it won’t go away without treatment. If you are living with discomfort, you may need a root canal to correct the problem, and a porcelain crown to conceal and protect the treated tooth.
- Tooth extraction: A problem tooth is sometimes beyond treatment and the only way to fix it is through tooth extraction.
Call your insurance company to learn what dental treatments and procedures your FSA benefits cover, or contact your Fort Lauderdale dentist to review your benefits. Every insurance plan is a little different and the oral health care available to you through these healthcare savings will vary.
Get a Beautiful, Healthy Smile with Your FSA Benefits
If you are fortunate enough to have excellent oral health, strong teeth and gums, and no problems or discomfort, you may want to use your FSA funds for cosmetic dentistry. Aesthetic upgrades like professional teeth whitening and porcelain veneers are typically not covered under FSA benefits, but many of the dental procedures mentioned above that do qualify for coverage do the dual job of beautifying and strengthening your smile at the same time.
Use your Flexible Spending Account before the year ends so you do not lose these excellent benefits. If you’re not sure what dental procedures can boost your smile and still fall under your existing coverage, contact Premier Smile Center and schedule a consultation with Dr. Johnson to find out what dental treatments you qualify for and what is best for improving your oral health.
Everything I have had done at Premier Smile Center has been top-notch. The treatment I received was thorough, precise and extremely professional. I never felt like just another patient because they took the time to listen to my concerns. They addressed my issues and we agreed on the treatment plan together.
The staff is very friendly, warm and extremely knowledgeable. I felt relaxed and comfortable knowing I chose the right place to get the dental work I needed. Dr. Johnson is very humane and very knowledgeable, and she does amazing work. I like the friendliness and honesty of the whole practice. I was not confident with my smile, in fact I was very self conscious and rarely smiled. Premier Smile Center has changed all that. My smile is one of the things I like the most.