Teeth Whitening Treatment Fort Lauderdale, FL
Professional teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry services. It’s fast, affordable, and delivers amazing, long-lasting results. Your teeth will be shades whiter if you qualify for a teeth-whitening procedure from your Fort Lauderdale dentist.
Things You Need to Know About Teeth Whitening
Many people are good candidates for professional whitening, but here’s what you need to know about this cosmetic dentistry procedure before you pursue it:
- Your teeth don’t have to be perfect. If your teeth are a little crooked or gapped or flawed, you can still get whitening. What many patients are surprised to discover is that whitening makes their teeth look so good they give the illusion of perfection.
- Your teeth may not be able to be whitened. Some people are simply born with tooth enamel that is dull in color. Teeth can also change color as a side effect of aging. A whitening procedure may not make a dent, but you can still get white teeth with a cosmetic dentistry treatment like porcelain veneers.
- You may have problematic tooth enamel. If you have thin tooth enamel, the dentin inside your tooth can make your smile look yellow. You may also be more likely to develop tooth stains, even. You may or may not qualify for the whitening procedure.
- All tooth stains are not the same. The cause of your tooth stains can make a difference in whether you would benefit from whitening. The most common causes of yellow or brown stains are poor oral hygiene, smoking, coffee drinking, and medication. If the stains are closer to the surface, teeth whitening can usually help.
Should You Choose In-Office or Take-Home Teeth Whitening?
There are two ways to benefit from a professional whitening treatment. You can schedule an in-office visit or have easy-to-use whitening trays customized for you to administer yourself at home. Here are some factors to consider as you decide between the two methods:
- Convenience: For some patients, it’s most convenient to visit their Fort Lauderdale cosmetic dentist and get their whitening done in person. For others, convenience is being able to whiten their teeth in the privacy of their home on their own time.
- Results: Both in-office and take-home teeth whitening deliver white teeth that are multiple shades whiter. The powerful whitening agents go into your tooth enamel and break up stain molecules to whiten your teeth.
- Speed: When the whitening procedure is administered at your dentist’s office, it takes about an hour to complete the process and you will see results immediately. The take-home trays usually take a week or two to notice results and complete a full-treatment.
Your Fort Lauderdale dentist is sensitive to your oral health needs and designs the whitening treatments to be kind to your mouth. Whether you opt for in-office whitening or custom-fitted dental trays, the process is designed to keep the whitening solution on the tooth enamel only and limit exposure to the gums to avoid sensitivity or discomfort. Professional dental whitening is a process that comes with great care and attention to detail.
The Disadvantages of Over-the-Counter Teeth Whitening
You can find dozens of whitening kits, toothpastes, gels, and more at your local pharmacy, but they won’t contain the professional-grade ingredients your dentist’s whitening materials will do. To get major whitening results, you need a high concentration of hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide.
Over-the-counter products are marketed for everyone, but what your dentist knows is that some teeth simply aren’t suited for whitening. You could try every product available, and it still won’t make some teeth any whiter. You want your Fort Lauderdale dentist’s eyes on your teeth before you invest in any whitening efforts. You may discover that you’re better suited to a cosmetic dentistry treatment like porcelain veneers.
Ready to find out whether you’re a good candidate for professional teeth whitening? Contact Fort Lauderdale dentist Dr. Charmaine Johnson at Premier Smile Center to learn more.