Having dry mouth is a very difficult and frustrating thing to deal with. Not only is it uncomfortable, but it predisposes you to cavities and gum disease. We have a specific protocol for all our dry mouth patients that helps keep the devastating effects of dry mouth at bay.
Here it is:
1) In the morning, brush with a high fluoride toothpaste prescribed by Dr. Johnson ( ClinPro 5000 or Prevident 5000), floss your teeth and use a waterpik. Then rinse with Peridex mouthwash, which could also be applied by the waterpik.
2) If you have breakfast, be sure to rinse afterwards.
3) Apply the MI Paste (calcium fluoride gel) in the base of your trays and wear for a half hour. After removing the trays, do not rinse your mouth after removing them. Allow the excess material to absorb into the teeth. Do not eat or drink for another half hour. The trays are custom made to fit around your teeth. If you do not have trays, smear a layer of the paste over the teeth.
4) Constantly sip on water throughout the day.
5) Avoid sugar, sticky, or high carb foods.
6) If you drink a lot of fruit juices, dilute with water and avoid sodas.
7) In the evening before bedtime, brush and floss or use a waterpik.
8) Brush with ClinPro 5000. If you have sensitivity, Sensodyne toothpaste is fine.
9) Apply the MI Paste in the trays and wear them overnight or at least for ½ hour before bed. Do not rinse your mouth after removing.
10) Use any of the Biotene products that you may need. They offer a number of great products including mouthrinses, lozenges, toothpaste, gum, etc. They can be purchased online or at some local pharmacies.
Remember: **IT’S VERY IMPORTANT TO CONTINUOUSLY SIP WATER THROUGHOUT THE DAY**
Two other products that can also help treat dry mouth are:
- BasicBites – Chew one tab after breakfast and one tab after dinner daily.
- XyliMelts- Place one tab along the gum area towards the side of the mouth where the cheek area is. Leave the tablet in until the tab is completely dissolved. This should also be done daily, at any time during the day.
Dry mouth won’t go away on its own. Allow us to help you get healthy. Contact us today for an appointment.