Preventative Dentistry Fort Lauderdale
Both teeth and gums survive best when they are kept clean of food, plaque, and bacteria, and when the intake of harmful foods is controlled.
It is very important to have regular dental cleanings and checkups along with overall good dental hygiene to help prevent new cavities, preserve teeth that have been restored, and manage periodontal disease.
Our Dental Care Partnership
In partnership with you, we can help you fulfill your goal of maintaining healthy teeth and gums for life. We can save you significant dental expense in the future.
- During your twice-a-year dental examination, you will receive a professional cleaning by our hygienist, x-rays when needed, and a thorough examination for tooth and gum problems, as well as an oral cancer screening.
- Through education, we will help you to take control of your dental health.
- We teach you tips on maintaining your dental health at home.
- To help you take care of any problems before they worsen, we also provide you with preventative services, tailored to your situation. Some preventative measures are tooth sealants and the application of fluoride directly to the teeth.
Home Care Tips
The following are helpful home care tips for good dental hygiene. These should be done in conjunction with regular professional dental cleanings and evaluations.
- Twice a day, with a soft-bristled toothbrush, brush your teeth in a circular motion aimed at the gum. Make sure the brush is half on the tooth and half on the gum.
- Floss every night in a slow up-and-down motion while keeping the floss in a U-shape and against the tooth surface on each side.
- Use a waterpik, if recommended by your dentist.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid sticky sugary foods.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Use antiseptic and fluoride rinses, as directed.
As a decay preventative, it may be advisable for sealants to be placed on young permanent teeth, if needed. Ask us if your child may need this.